Thursday, February 23, 2012

My Beginning

A year ago I started what I am going to call a revolution of sorts and decided to make some changes in my life. The first thing I decided to work on was my spirituality and in doing that it meant that I had to let go of some ghosts in my past and to quit punishing myself for all the things I cannot change. I have to say that at first it was a huge struggle but as of today I feel like I am more at peace with myself then I have ever been. I am really happy and I have found the last few months that I have developed friendships with the best women who in the past I might have felt like I could never measure up to. I also feel like I have become a better Mother and Grandmother.

Aproximately 2 1/2 weeks ago I moved on to working on getting healthy. With my good friend Ronda I joined Weight Watchers. To tell you the truth, that first day I had a million excuses in my head on the reasons why I could not go. I was hoping my friend would call me and tell me she could not go. Instead my very enthusiastic friend called me and told me how excited she was and that she had bought us water cups that we could take with us to each meeting. There started our journey. The first night we decided that we were going to go to the convenience store and buy ourselves our final big splurge. After walking thru the store and checking out every sweet thing in there and laughing our heads off I decided to chose a Ding Dong (which is something I hardly ever eat) and my friend chose some pastry filled with cream cheese. I told the cashier that if she ever saw us in there buying sweets by ourselves she was to call the other person and let them know so we could have an intervention. :) We then decided to drag main (picture two old women driving around eating their very fattening dessert). Ronda told me she had in the past had an addiction to Honey Buns so somewhere along the way we came up with the nicknames of Hunny Buns for Ronda and Ding Dong for me. It has since been updated to Bunny Buns and Bing Bong.

A week later I went to my first weigh in feeling a lot nervous. When I stood on the scales and it said I had lost 9.4 lbs all I could do was stand there. The lady checking the scales said I could get off the scales but I was still in shock for a minute. I finally realized I could be excited and everyone started giving me high fives. It was a very good moment for me.

The next week when I went to weigh in I was REALLY nervous. I knew I had been working hard but still felt like the first week was some sort of fluke and this time I was going to see a gain. I was stunned when they said I had lost another 5 lbs. Again I was very excited but I also have become a little worried because I have set a high bar for myself and yet I know I can't keep losing weight at the same rate. I hope that I can but I realize at some point my weight loss could taper off and I might not see those big losses each week. That doesn't mean I am going to quit working so hard. I really want to succeed at this!!

So before I end my first shot at this whole blogging thing I just want to say Thank You to my friends and family for your support in my journey. I will keep you posted on my progress!!

3 comments:

  1. Don't give up on your goals! I am very proud of you and think you are doing an amazing job. Even if its .2 ounces... its still a loss!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so excited to have stumbled across your blog!! You are such an wonderful and amazing lady and I am so happy to have you as my dear friend and soul sister! YOU inspire me so much!!! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so sweet Julie. You inspire me in ways you don't even know. Love ya too!!

      Delete